AROUND SAN GIMIGNANO - FOCUS
5 days (3 days on bike)
Type of Tour:
"A margherita" (the start of the trip in the morning to the end in the afternoon will
always be from your accommodation).
Date of theTour:
No binding dates, Each participant can customize the departure date of the tour and be free from specific dates.
The tour is entirely set around the picturesque village of San Gimignano, declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco.
The scenary is a beautiful Tuscan landscape. In the background the original skyline appears to be drawn on by the characteristic towers of San Gimignano. In the past, the towers were a symbol of wealth and prestige of the more wealthy and powerful families.
The tour will seem like you are riding on a canvas painted by an artist with amazing hues and shades of yellow, green, and blue.
Rolling hills cut with roads and lanes in stone. Rows of cypress trees that stand on the golden fields of wheat and sunflowers. Ancient walls, churches, and castles that dominate the entire cultivated slopes that are artistically surrounded by the olive groves and vineyards. Towns from medieval times that show a great wine and food culture envied all over the world. Villages that preserve the authentic traditions that have been handed down for hundreds of years.
At the end of the day, unbelievable food and an amazing glass of Chianti wine will give you the perfect energy to face the trip of the next day.
- Sunday: Arrival and welcome in San Gimignano.
- Monday: San Gimignano, Pancole, Certaldo, San Gimignano.
- Tuesday: San Gimignano, Castelvecchio, San Gimignano.
- Wednesday: San Gimignano, Volterra, San Gimignano.
- Thursday: Goodbyes and departure of participants
MAIN POINTS OF INTEREST
- Certaldo: famous for the writer Boccaccio, for its street party “Mercantia” and the charming old town.
- San Gimignano: medieval town of disarming beauty, also known as the Manhattan of the Middle Ages for its ancient towers.
- Volterra: charming old town of Etruscan origin, famous for the extraction and production of alabaster.
- Castelvecchio: town of Etruscan origin that is now in ruins, located within a natural park.
-Via Francigena: the ancient road that joins Canterbury and Rome, crossed every year by thousands of pilgrims.
- Streets of olive oil and Chianti wine.
DIFFICULTY AND FEATURES
Each day starts in the morning at about 8:30 am and ends approximately at 4:30 pm.
Each day will be approximately 40-50 kilometers with an elevation of about 500-600 meters distributed on slight uphill slope.
The roads are mostly dirt or paths in gravel, stone or packed earth.
The proper bike is mountain bike with front shocks.
The pace will be dictated by the guide; it will be slow to proceed together, with frequent stops to rest, drink, eat, take pictures, visit, and observe.
You need a minimal athletic training and a minimum mastery of driving the bike on uneven ground.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
The tour will only be operated with a minimum of 2 participants.
The maximum number is of 10 participants.
During the tours, in case of need, the guide will deal with any solution of small mechanical failures or punctures.